Sunday, November 16, 2008

Christmas Catalog HELL

I love catalogs. I love leafing through them, dog earring them and saving them for Christmas orders. I really do. But this year, for some reason....I AM IN CHRISTMAS CATALOG HELL. (insert dramatic sound effect here...DUM DUM DUM!!) They have taken over my mailbox and my house. I would usually hoard some of the ones I know I will order from, but this year they hit the recycling box quicker than you can say 'Santa Claus'. I've been complaining about this to a few of you, but that was when there were 5 or so hitting my mailbox a day. I get into the mail today and I find not 5, not 10, but 13 catalogs!! 13! Do you know how much paper that is?!?!?! It's actually a stack of mail difficult to pick up. I have noticed something quite interesting. The catalogs don't have just one name anymore...they ALL have a subtitle. So, I am going to list the ones I got today, including subtitles. Once you see it all in one place it gets quite amusing:

1. The Wooden Soldier - Holiday 2008 (this ones sounds kinda dirty, but is actually overpriced kids clothes) 
2.Wine Enthusiast - Holiday 2008
3.grandinroad -affordable style (that's not a typo but how it actually appears on the catalog, no capitals, no spaces)
4.Hearth Song - Toys You'll Feel Good About Giving - Holiday 2008 (have you ever felt bad for giving a kid a toy, any toy??)
5.Hammacher Schlemmer - America's Longest Running Catalog - Offering the Best, the Only and the Unexpected for 160 years (i didn't make this up. who gives a sh*&?)
6.CB2 - and to all a good light (what!?!?!)
7.Eddie Bauer est. 1920 - THE GIFT BOOK - The Original Outdoor Outfitter
8.CHEFS - The Best Kitchen Starts Here (so, where does the worst kitchen start?)
9.Plow & Hearth - Holiday 2008 
10. F*A*O* Schwarz - Good Play/Great Gifts - Holiday 2008
11. Bounty Hunter - Fall & Holiday 2008 - Rare Wine & Provisions
12. American Girl - FOLLOW YOUR INNER STAR (if they had done their diligence...they would probably realize that nolan is a BOY, it's not even a gender ambiguous name, nolan)
13. Foods Across America - A culinary road trip featuring America's legendary foods (who knew you could order 3 lbs of corned beef and a cheesecake from carnegie deli for $100?)

Do you see my point? Is it me they are targeting? Do they think for some reason I am the only person in America spending any money? Do I have sucker tatooed on my forehead? If you noticed, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware and Williams-Sonoma aren't even in my list of 13 and we all know how often they send out catalogs!! Like every 2 weeks. So tomorrow I expect to receive my 5th Pottery Barn catalog of the season, plus Napa Style, Crate and Barrel - Best Buys, Red Envelope, Orvis and Orvis - the Dog Book.....AT LEAST!!

No comments: